Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Tender Mercy of Roses by Anna Michaels

The Tender Mercy of RosesThe Tender Mercy of Roses by Anna Michaels

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I could have read this book in one sitting if my time hadn't been so limited this week. I found myself thinking about the characters and the mystery, even when I wasn't reading. Anna Michaels writes beautifully, as well. I got caught up in her use of words, which lent a southern flavoring and poetry to the story.

Although this story involves a murder mystery, I felt that it wasn't morbid at all. The rodeo setting didn't overwhelm the rest of the story. The ethereal Native American element gave it a beautiful spirituality that felt natural.

Be advised: There was some strong language, but only a little of it. It seemed like Michael used it only to help develop a clearer picture of Pony Jones' character; her masculine upbringing, her wild personality, her lack of education. That's how it struck me, anyway.

I really enjoyed it. If you don't have a problem with mild profanity, I'd definitely recommend it.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Just the cover alone has drawn me in... thank you for your review. This book has been added to my TBR list! :)