Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Honeybee: Poems & Short Prose by Naomi Shihab Nye


"Watch us humans as we enter our rooms,remove our shoes and watches, and stretch out on the bed with a single good book. It's the honey of the mind time. Light shines through our little jars."


Although, I freely admit that this book was not what I had expected, even so it has a definitive quality that shines through as I read it. I believe that this quality is transforming in nature through the various elements that were brought up throughout each poetic source shared in this book.
These poems or paragraphs are thought-provoking almost to the point of confusion for my dear brain. For this reason, I understand that this book will not be for everyone. If you do choose to read it, please acknowledge that it won't take you very long indeed. I read a few of the poems to my 12 year old daughter and she didn't feel like they made enough sense to her. Yet, poetry is that way and that's part of the beauty of it-where words can be constructed in such a way that they can be epic without the need to make sense. This is one of the things I love about poetry and words, in general.
Intrigued, I finished reading this book on my own. I found an endearing poem called "Bees Were Better." It made an observation about people as they break up and this one line I could relate to because I've done this too:

Two people broke up
across the table from me
at the library.
I could not sit at that table again
though I did not know them.


These types of observations were prevelant in this collection of 82 poems and this was one of my favorite things about it. It was honest, simple yet it didn't talk down to its readers. Instead, it left you with a bittersweet feeling of life and what it holds, even from its political views, which left me pondering about more than the nature of bees.
Most of all, it remains for me that Naomi Shihab Nye is one modern poet & author that I'd like to meet. I need to pay attention and this could be possible since she lives in San Antonio. Meeting her would truly be a gift! In her writing, one can tell how much she has yet to offer and what she has already given us is amazing! These are valuable ways of writing words that I'd like to learn how to share with the world for myself.
Let me know if any of you have met her before. I'm highly curious.

Hardcover: 176 pages
Publisher: Greenwillow (February 26, 2008)
ISBN-10: 0060853905
My rating: 3 stars

My Favorite Poems in this collection:

Bees Were Better pg. 66

There Was No Wind pg. 84

We Are Not Nothing pg. 105


More about Naomi Shihab Nye

Other views:

Teen Book Review

Bookshelf: What We're Reading

2 comments:

Amanda said...

She DOES live in SA and frequently gives talks and does poetry readings at the central library. I got to see her about 18 months ago there and later read her collection 19 Varieties of Gazelle. I liked her poems better when she spoke them out loud.

Julie said...

Thanks for the info., Amanda. I"m glad to hear you were able to see her. I've always enjoyed poetry when it is spoken out loud.