Thursday, January 20, 2011

Suspense and Sensibility by Carrie Bebris

Suspense and Sensibility by Carrie Bebris written in 2005, 301 pages

I so very much enjoy her Mr. and Mrs. Darcy Mystery Series, Suspense and Sensibility it her second in the series. Just like the first, Pride and Prescience, this one dabbles in the supernatural. I have read many other reviews and many do not like it. I have read North by Northanger and The Matters at Mansfield, which are the 3rd and 4th books in the series. Neither of them have anything to do with the supernatural, they are just fun mysteries. She uses characters from the original books and a quote from Jane Austen’s books for the opening of each chapter. I do enjoy them; they combine my two favorite JA and mystery.

This one is of course about the characters from Sense and Sensibility. Mr. and Mrs. Darcy take Kitty, her sister to London for the season. There she meets Mr. Harry Dashwood, son of John and Fanny Dashwood. This is a fine love story with many twists and turns. It is nice to see what possibly happened to some of our favorite characters. This novel touches on Sir Francis Dashwood, an actual living person with a very wild and inappropriate past. I liked how she combined him into this novel.

The humor, wit and affection continue between Mr. and Mrs. Darcy and I love it. Please read this series. You don’t have to read them in order, but the changes in the Darcy’s lives do go in order with the book. I am just starting Ms Debris’ last book in the series, The Intrigue at Highbury. It will be interesting to know if she returns to the supernatural or not. It doesn’t matter to me as I like it either way. I love the Darcy’s and have been having fun searching for the many fan fiction versions of their lives.
Of course this is a 5 star book in my opinion. Enjoy

No comments: