Thursday, January 20, 2011

Emma by Jane Austen

Emma by Jane Austen
Written in 1816

I didn’t realize that I had watched a few of her movies but didn’t read all 6 of her books. I finally got to Emma this week. Of course I love Jane’s writing. I love that she describes things so well that you do feel you are living in that era. I also find that my vocabulary improves while reading one of her books.

The only draw backs I did have is that I missed more dialogue. To me, it seemed that there was not as much as usual. When there was it was several paragraphs to pages on the texture of gruel. I understand giving plenty of background for the characters but it just seemed a bit off.

At the end when the gentleman declares his love for Emma, I wish we had dialogue of her response. Also the dialogue of them telling their family and friends would have been nice.

I still loved all the characters and loved to watch the personal growth in Emma as she learns from her mistakes and listens to the wise counsel of a friend. I loved how dedicated she was to her father and her governess. Good story I give it 4 ½ stars because of the lack of dialogue. And of course I would recommend it to all

1 comment:

Queen 'Bina said...

I like Emma, too. It's fun in a lot of ways, but I always forget how wordy it is until I jump into it.

One of the things I've noticed Jane does with her characters (especially supporting characters) is that she'll take one or two personality traits someone might have and she'll blow them completely out of proportion. So it's more like a charicature in words. But she's so good at it that you still believe such a person could exist.

Have you read Persuasion yet? It's my favorite of Jane's.