Sunday, December 12, 2010

On Becoming Baby Wise II by Gary Ezzo

On Becoming Baby Wise II: Parenting Your Pre-Toddler Five to Fifteen MonthsOn Becoming Baby Wise II: Parenting Your Pre-Toddler Five to Fifteen Months by Gary Ezzo

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This was more like 3.5 stars to me. I don't think it is as good as the first book. I love the Baby Wise concepts that are outlined in book one; that baby's needs should not supplant the marriage relationship; that baby's needs can be worked into the entire family's schedule rather than the family revolving entirely around baby; and parent directed feeding, as opposed to demand feeding, fosters good sleeping and behavior patterns. I've implemented these principles with my last two babies and they both started sleeping through the night by ten weeks of age. They were also happier and easier to manage during their waking hours. People have always been amazed at how "easy" my little ones have been.

So while I love the Baby Wise method in general, and would recommend it to anyone, I think this particular book is a little lacking. It teaches great principles for parenting your pretoddler, but it doesn't offer many examples of how to practically implement those principles. It tells us the what to do and why to do it, but not really how to do it. I understand any examples they might have given may not reflect my actual life experiences, but I really think those exmples help solidify my understanding of the priciples.

Still, it was a quick read and taught some really great parenting principles. It's definately worth picking up if you have a baby.



View all my reviews

2 comments:

Trixie said...

Thanks Bina for reviewing this. I read the first one, Baby Wise, which was highly recommended by my friend. But he didn't seem to like this one quite as much, so I never read it. Seems you agree.

Julie said...

Thanks for your review, Queen Bina! I haven't ever heard of the Baby Wise books or technique. Too bad, since they've been working for you on your last two babies. It hasn't been very long since I was at this stage of babyhood but it's amazing how quickly they do grow up and you forget some things while others remain or are remembered differently. Thanks for the insights & comparisons between the first and the second books. Great information!