Friday, December 31, 2010

Midnight's Children

Midnight's ChildrenMidnight's Children by Salman Rushdie

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I had a horrible time trying to decide how to rate this book. On the one hand, any idiot can see this is the product of a master word-weaver. On the other hand, I can't say that I enjoyed it all that much.

There was a lot that was really interesting about it- the political unrest in India in the mid-twentieth century was a huge one, as well as the different major religious sects. His style is thick with Indian culture, which was a lot of fun. But the style, being very Indian, seemed kind of disjointed to me. There wasn't a very cohesive flow to the plot. It took me a good hundred pages just to get used to his style. He would often introduce a person, event or concept that wouldn't actually get to play a part in the story for another couple hundred pages or so. It was a bit confusing at times and confusion tends not to be a good motivator for me to finish the book.

As it is, I was so unmotivated to read much on a daily basis, that my time having it from the library ran out before I could finish. I don't care enough to check it out again and finish the story. He's just too wordy for me and I'd rather move on to something else now.

Would I recommend it? Ah... hm... sure. Give it a try. It's definitely different from anything I've picked up before. Be aware of some strong language and adult themes.



View all my reviews

2 comments:

terry said...

just wondering - how many pages was this book?

Julie said...

Terry - Sorry, I missed your question. As far as I know, this book is 647 pages. Thanks for asking!

Nice review, Queen 'Bina. :)