Friday, October 8, 2010

Pride and prejudice and zombies Seth Grahame-Smith

I hadn’t read Pride and Prejudice yet, I thought I had. So I read the original P&P at the same time I read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It was nice to be able to see exactly where changes are made to the new story. The author stuck to the story and basically put the “zombie” parts are just tucked in here and there. At times they stick out like a sore thumb.

For 50 years England has been fighting a zombie making disease. The Bennets have sent their daughters to China to be taught how to fight. The have a dojo and spend much time practicing. The King has sworn them to the duty of fighting the Zombies. This does give a reason for why the military are posted in their town. Elizabeth and Darcy are both well trained killers and it is comical to read about their walks and then they stop to kill zombies then go right back to the stroll and conversations.

I thought of bringing cauliflower to the book club this month as this is the book we read for the month. The zombies would find fields of cauliflower and devour them, thinking them were brains. Yuk huh? The gruesome details are not that bad. Of course during the time reading it I started having nightmares from all the YA vampire books I had been reading. So I ended the book having difficulties with the yuk.

I would suggest this book for others to read, as long as they are prepared for the gore. I would give this book a 3 star. It is very comical.

No comments: