Friday, October 8, 2010

Impulse and Initiative by Abigail Reynolds

This version of Pride and Prejudice is nicely written. It is the same author as Mr Fitzwilliam Darcy, just a different twist to the story.

After receiving Elizabeth’s refusal of marriage in Kent, Darcy follows up by coming to Longburn to court her. It is so sweet and at times comical to read the banter between the two of them. It was beautiful reading about their budding romance grow and to see the changes in both characters.

SPOILER ALERT – They end up having to get married which is a great disappointment to me. I understand that youth nowadays are in to that kind of thing so maybe this version is a lure for more teens to read Austen.

There is more of Darcy’s sister Georgianna and his cousin Colonel Fitzwilliam in this version and we get to see how Darcy thinks and understand his original actions.

I enjoyed this book. I feel it is a romance novel and I usually avoid them but I was actually ok this time. There is intimacies throughout this book also but they are not as detailed as the Mr Fitzwilliam Darcy novel. I give this book a 4 star and suggest it to other Austen fans.

No comments: