Monday, August 16, 2010

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

This one gets four stars from me.
I just finished reading this one aloud to my son. We had a lot of fun with it. I'm not sure what I was expecting when I started it, but there was something about this book that caught me totally off guard. Whatever it was, it took me a couple chapters to get used to it, but then I really liked it. It might have just been the pace and the rhythm. I've been reading Harry Potter out loud for so long, and this was completely different. When you read a book aloud, the story's voice tends to get IN you in a way that it just doesn't when you read silently. This story's voice was more personal- being in first person- and more modern, I think, than I expected.
My son enjoyed it a lot, but I also found myself getting excited for reading time everyday. I want to know what happens next! I waited to see the movie, so it was all a surprise to me. A pleasant surprise. I can't wait for The Sea of Monsters.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Yay! I love this book. It is different, even though people say it is HP-lite. I really enjoyed the flawed nature of Percy. It is a fun read. Since I am now reading The Battle of the Labyrinth, it seems we are once again out of sync! :)

Julie said...

I agree with how different it is when you read a story out loud. I like how the story reaches and gets IN you too. I hadn't thought about reading this one out loud to my kids before and the movie really put me off so maybe I should try it. I may find I like the whole book better!
Thanks for your fun review!

readerbuzz said...

My son's on book three in the series. He's 25!