Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Wish You Well by David Baldacci

I am a great David Baldacci fan. His books are thrillers, edge-of-your-seat who dunits, and Paul and I enjoy them. I typically go into the library and clear out a shelf of an author, just dive into a large stack of their books. This time I came away greatly surprised, because Wish You Well is nothing like his others and I love it. Baldacci interviewed his Mom and Grandmother on where and how they were raised in the Appalachian Mountains of Virginia. I read it all in one setting and when I closed the book my soul felt full,complete, it felt like something I can't describe with words. As I have been thinking about it for a couple days, I still can't think of a way to describe the good feeling I had. I will say it was one of the best books I have ever read.
It is about Jack Cardinal's family, his wife Amanda, daughter Lou age 12 and her brother Oz, age 7rs. They move from New York City to the Appalachian mountains in Virginia to live with Great Grandmother Louisa. She is in her eighties and has lived on the mountain all her life. The mountain, now there is a character that fills the pages of their lives and of the book. Baldacci describes the mountain and all it "is" in such a way that you feel who have been there, that you are a part of what is living and breathing. Their whole lives depend on what they get from the land. The story is told through Lou. It's about tradegy, friends, political issues, love and of hope. Definitely about hope. I could have said much more about the book but I kept editing myself as not to tell you too much. I do hope you read it and enjoy it as much as I have. Oh, I went on Amazon and read a few of their reviews, at least three other people I read about also felt that it touched them in ways they couldn't describe. enjoy.

3 comments:

Julie said...

I love it when I come across a book by an author that is completely different than anything they've ever written before. True genious!
I'm glad you enjoyed this one so much! So, if I've never read Baldacci, would you recommend starting with this book or one of his others? Which one?

Anonymous said...

Definitely this one. Because it is so good

Carrie said...

hey I'm not anonymous! I must have hit the wrong button on my phone lol