Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams


Tad Williams is a highly acclaimed Fantasy novelist and this series: Memory, Sorrow and Thorn is considered one of the must-reads of the fantasy genre. Book One, The Dragonbone Chair, sets the stage and introduces our hero, Simon (and other key players as well). This book is part coming-of-age-story, part classic-good-verses-evil-drama, part political intrigue, with just a hint of first love. I found here, a good mix of round and flat characters. I was very interested in the events of the story. I liked it. I feel compelled to read the rest of the series to find out what happens. All that being said, I went in to this book hoping to be captivated and swept away. I was not. 700+ pages should have flown by in a week's time. It took me nearly 2 months to finish it. I'm not sure why, but it just didn't grab me. Even though I liked it, I didn't find myself wondering what would happen next whenever I had to put it down. Even though I liked it, I didn't feel any sense of urgency to get back to it as soon as I possibly could.
I'd recommend this one if you already love fantasy, but probably not if you're just getting acquainted with it. I wish I could give it 4 stars, but I have to go with 3.

2 comments:

Julie said...

It's hard when you have an expectation with a book and it turns out differently than you hoped. I can relate. I wonder how the rest of the series will turn out for you - will they be the same as this or will you be swept away? I guess we'll have to wait and see. :)
I'm also curious as to what you (or anyone else) would recommend in the fantasy genre to those just getting acquainted?

Cozy Book Nook (Lesa) said...

Hi-- Tad William's Shadowmarch really surprised me-- deliciously epic with multi-storylines. You might give it a look.

Julie-- there are subgenres of fantasy so would depend:
For epic-- Tolkien, Terry Brook's Shannara Series, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series are my faves

For quirky, funny and punny: Piers Anthony's Xanth Series or Pratchett's Discworld Series

I really like The Warded Man-- it is the start of a new series but I can't recall the author

There are more subgenres too.