Monday, June 14, 2010

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

Vida Winter, England's most famous and reclusive writer, is nearing the end, and before she goes she wants her amazing life story to be recorded for posterity. For this, she engages a lonely young biographer, Margaret Lea, who has a few secrets of her own. Up to this point Miss Winter has given 19 versions of her life to different biographers, all untrue. She has finally decided to tell the true story. Which is so intriguing, full of ghosts and mystery. I truly enjoyed this book.
A sentence from the book; "I still believe in stories. I still forget myself when I am in the middle of a good book."

5 comments:

JaneGS said...

I enjoyed this book too and love the quote you chose to represent the book. It's more of an Oct book than a spring book, which is when I read it, but still intriguing and spine-tingling.

mel u said...

I also enjoyed this book a lot-I hope Setterfield will have another book soon-I loved the talk of all the old books in this novel

Julie said...

Carrie,
I'm glad you read this book on my recommendation and I also love the quote you chose. I'm intrigued by this book and think I'll take the time to get it read. Thanks for posting your reviews!

Lula O said...

I still need to read this one. I started it a while ago and didn't have time to finish. I agree, it would be a great fall read.

Queen 'Bina said...

I read this one a while back. I chose it for book clubn on a friend's recommendation. It really is a good one. I'm glad I read it. There's something so appealing to me about books about books. And the ghost story aspect was fun and chilling, but not give-me-nightmares scary.
I hope she continues writing. I wouldn't mind a few more like this.