Monday, May 17, 2010

The Vanishing of Katharina Linden by Helen Grant


I got this as an ARC from goodreads firstreads. It'll come out for purchase in August.
I think I have to give it four stars. It was a little bit morbid in theme, but I got completely sucked in after the first few chapters.
Set in recent Germany, the story is told by 11 year old Pia. As she deals with her own personal difficulties, her small town suddenly experiences a string of mysterious disappearances. In an effort to overcome her social struggles, Pia commits herself to solving the mystery. With the help of her sole friend, Stefan, and an unexpected ally, the truth is uncovered. But as so often happens in life, the perfect ending Pia envisions is not to be.
This was a quick, enjoyable read. I do recommend it.
Be advised, there is some use of profane language, but it is nearly all in German.

3 comments:

Hamilcar Barca said...

i like the cover. does it give a hint as to who the "unexpected ally" is?

Queen 'Bina said...

I have to say SORT OF. It's a little misleading, and I didn't make the connection until just before the reveal.

Julie said...

This does sound interesting and I like where it is set in Germany.