Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins


I waited until the hype died down to read Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. I usually do this with a popular series of books at times but as I have sometimes discovered, as with this book, that's not always a smart choice.

I think if you start reading The Hunger Games than you should go out immediately and continue reading through Catching Fire so it will seem like one big book. I honestly think that is the best way to read it, in this case, since it is a middle book. As with a lot of middle books from a trilogy, I find there is a lot of set up, explanation, and discovery of motives, characters and symbolism. I didn't mind it but I think if The Hunger Games were fresher in my memory than that excitement from reading it originally would have spilled over and carried me through this one. For me, this book didn't compare with the excitement I sustained through reading the first book which I devoured and didn't expect I would at all.

I still liked Catching Fire but in a different way which was more thoughtful and forseeable. I do love its cast of characters, Peeta, Gale, Katniss, Cinna, Haymitch, Effie and it did not dissapoint me there. Although, I didn't read it as fast as The Hunger Games it was engaging and I did want to continue reading it consistently. Also, I liked the conclusion better which felt more complete yet there is still enough uncertainty that is left for me to ponder about how it will unfold in the next part of this saga.

So in the end, I am looking forward to the third installment, Mockingjay(Aug. 24th), in this series. Perhaps, I won't wait this time but I may read it as soon as I can!
My favorite quote from the book without giving too much away:
"Four days in, the picturesque mountain erupts in a volcano..."

See, you've got to read this book now - it has a volcano in it!
Just fyi, I'm Team Peeta. :)

400 pages, Scholastic Press; 1st edition (September 1, 2009), My rating: 4 stars
Other juicy reviews:

4 comments:

Lula O said...

Oooo, a volcano spewing forth. You'd think I'd of remembered that. I thought this book was standard filler as well. On to the next then!

PeachyTO said...

I am going to take your advice and read Catching Fire as soon as possible, since I finished Hunger Games about two months ago. I was going to wait until the third came out, so that I wouldn't be hanging off a cliff with this one, but you make a good point about the lead up being fresh in your mind. Thanks.

Nina said...

I saw the first book translated into Dutch yesterday at the library..and yes I didn't get it. Why? No good reason here. The library is closed now, so I should get there asap to get it. Hope it's still there. :) Thanks for the great review of this book.

Julie said...

First of all, I really appreciate all of your kind comments! You've made my day! :)

Lula - It will be great reading when Mockingjay comes out!

Peachy - Thanks for having faith in my advice and I hope I haven't steered you wrong. Enjoy Catching Fire!

Nina - So cool that it's in Dutch! My husband speaks and reads a little Dutch. Thanks for not finding a good reason to pass it up. I hope you are able to get this book and that you'll enjoy reading it too!