Friday, February 19, 2010

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens


I picked this one up just because it was short and I was in the mood for it. I love this classic story and I think no home library is complete without it. I've seen many theatrical renditions of the story, but this was the first time I've read the original work. It was fun for me to compare Dickens' novel with the play I'm so familiar with. And that it took only a little more time to read than watching it on stage would take makes it a great pass-time. Four and a half stars go to Mr. Dickens. Maybe that's unfair; I think that half star may have fallen off just because the used copy I was reading smelled so strongly of smoke. Sorry, Charles. I know that's not your fault, but it is what it is.

4 comments:

Hamilcar Barca said...

have you read David Copperfield, 'Bina? after that one, i never wanted to read Dickens again.

Julie said...

I've read this book numerous times. I used to read it every Christmas there for a while but I haven't the last 3 or 4 years. Perhaps, I should this Christmas.

Hamilcar~I've started reading David Copperfield but I have yet to be able to finish it. I like the PBS Masterpiece version although I'm sure that it is not as much like the book would be if I would finish reading it. Someday..*sigh* but I have to be in the mood to read Dickens.

Nina said...

I have read this book with Christmas a while ago and loved it ever since. I need to reread some old classics!

Queen 'Bina said...

I have not read David Copperfield yet, but it is on my ever expanding list. As with most of the classical novels, I have to be in the mood. I can't be impressed by antiquity alone, though. Being old doesn't make it good, as some people seem to think. I haven't been exposed to many of Dickens' works, but it seems like he's one you either like a lot or can't stand. We'll see which side of the fence I fall on.