Friday, February 19, 2010

Batman: Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader? by Neil Gaiman Illustrated by Andy Kubert

Let's face it - Batman is one of the best classics in comics and will this really be the end for the Caped Crusader? Who really knows? I personally can't imagine it and I'll always be glad for all the comics ready to read about him out there. I'm a Batman fan. So, therefore, I pay tribute to Gaiman and Kubert for their glorious trip down memory lane to honor him. It's beautiful, really. As mentioned here from Publishers Weekly:

Although this is obviously a love letter from one of the comics medium's
premiere talents, the volume will appeal more to readers well-versed in Batman's
continuity than Gaiman's normal legion of fans As the finished story only
amounts to two issues of material, this hardcover is padded out with
lesser—though not badly written by any means—stories teaming Gaiman with Simon Bisley, Mark Buckingham, Kevin Nowlan and Bernie Mireault, plus a sketchbook by Kubert.
(July)

I felt this sketchbook and the different styles of art was worth looking at. It's so visually stunning! Plus, the art and writing together so clearly defined the unique presence of Gotham, its characters both good and bad that we've come to know and imagine. It completely captured my mind to realize all the reasons I've loved Batman over the years. And in the end, I feel I don't really want it to end. I would love to see Gaiman and Kubert team up again, oh, pretty please let them have another issue. It truly was fantastic and not to be missed for loyal fans. One for halls of nostalgia and classic comic heroes always.
If you're not a Batman fan then you might at least browse through this shadowy work of art in the bookstore. It's glowing!


128 pages, DC Comics (July 21, 2009), My rating: 4 stars

Want to read more:
Stuff As Dreams Are Made On...
Poe and Van Gogh
CBR-comic book resources

4 comments:

Lula O said...

I love a graphically enhanced batman. I'll have to check this one out!

Hamilcar Barca said...

Batman's probably my favorite comic-book hero. mostly cuz he has no super powers. no Spidey-sense, no Superman invincibility. etc. just kewl, believable gadgets and his wits.

SariJ said...

I love Batman and and Gaiman. Thanks for sharing this book. I will have to check this out. Though I will tell people it is for my teen LOL.

Julie said...

Lula~Yes, check this out!

Hamilcar~I love the way you've described Batman. All this never occured to me (duh?!) and must be why I like him so much plus he battles within himself on his good and evil sides as well. Very believable! Kewl! :)

SariJ~I need to read more Gaiman for sure. I hope you like it and I could have used the excuse it's for my teen as well but luckily no one asked or looked at me funny at my library but I do live by an excellent library - lucky me. ;)