Thursday, January 14, 2010

Specials by Scott Westerfeld

Third book in the Uglies Series.

Exquisite, tiny details and crystal clear images are what Specials can see. Amazing super-powered coordination through powerful repairable muscles are the way that Specials move. Even the faintest, most distant sound are distinguishable through "skintenna" and thoughts from the other Specials are the way that Specials communicate and hear. Their bones are light and made from aircraft ceramic for indestructibility. Even the odd, campfire smell of the Old Smoke is detectable through the nose of a Special. Every sense, every form and muscle of a Special is perfect and supernatural.
This is a powerful futuristic book. I loved it!
Basic synopsis:
Tally is now a special. She has undergone another surgery and has now joined the unique ranks of The Cutter's with her long-time friend, Shay, in charge. They are like super detectives and have missions of distinction where they monitor the lives of the Uglies and the Pretties. Tally is headed in a new direction and she can feel it. Will it be good or bad for her? When she is faced with the ulitmate cure, will she take it?
Tally's personality evolves tremendously in this book. I liked this about her. I feel she really had to come to terms with a lot of things that happened over the course of the series. She had to find comfort within herself. Once again, she had to face many obstacles and changes within herself and the people around her. It was very interesting along the lines of these types of dilemnas. Not every part of this book is easy or comfortable to read. At times while reading I felt sad, surprised, skeptical, and curious. Most of all, I had to think. In the end, as I devoured this book in just a few short days, I realized I wanted more. Luckily, I found out that there is more now in Extras. I'll have to read that next.
From the back:

"Tally's in constant motion, the action nonstop, all the way until—paralleling
the stunning end of Uglies—Tally makes an unromantic, pragmatic and desperate
final decision. A splendid, provocative conclusion to a terrific series."
Kirkus Reviews (starred)

400 pages, Simon Pulse (Sept. 11, 2007), My rating: 5 stars

Other viewpoints:

3 comments:

Rebecca Reid said...

sounds interesting! I haven't read Pretties yet but now I'm looking forward to both of these.

Amanda said...

This book had me bawling. I immediately had to read Pretties and Specials all over again just to spend more time with a specific character who has a specific fate (you'll know who I'm talking about).

Julie said...

Rebecca- These books are interesting! I', curious to see what you think after you read them.

Amanda- This book was very emotional for me too. I know exactly who you mean.

As always, thanks for reading my review.