Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan


Lately my tastes have been straying away from young adult fiction, mainly YA fiction that's geared more towards adults that kids (which I think ruins it most of the time), but this movie looks pretty good, see here, so I decided to listen to the book first before I take my kids in February.

My review will be short.
It was okay.
But as a side note, I probably shouldn't have listened to it, as I was not a fan of the reader. His voices seemed too cartoonish, like they were straight off of Sesame Street, and kept reminding me this book was for kids (you know like Trix), and I think I'd have liked it better if I'd have just read it and invented my own voices in my head. I plan on reading the rest of the series eventually and see if my little theory holds true.

Kudos to Riordan for keeping the content in this one for young adults. Imagine a young adult book that is actually for young adults! Perish the thought!

As for content, just think Harry Potter/Greek mythology, but I like mythology (I am a huge Clash of the Titans fan after all), and even though it's not half as good as Harry Potter as far as predictability and character development goes, I will give it full marks for excitement. It was good fun. Any kid would like this book. And the movie looks even better. Maybe we'll even see it on the first weekend. For me that's really saying something.
3 stars.

Another point of view: Amanda

3 comments:

Amanda said...

This one isn't really considered young adult but more middle-grade fiction, and I agree it does keep to its age bracket. My son loves these. I didn't like any of the next four anywhere near as much as this one, but I'm still excited about the movie coming out!

Julie said...

I've been wondering about this book. I'm happy to read your thoughts on it. The movie trailer looks exciting and now you've peaked my interest in the book!

Lula O said...

That makes sense Amanda. I've heard that about the others, with this and the last one being the best.

It is a good preview isn't it! Lots of good looking movies seem to be coming out this year. Especially now - helps with the winter yucks.