Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain


*contains spoilers*

I can definitely see why this one has endured the test of time. I'd never read it before and somehow I always got the impression that Huck was the con artist type and Tom was kind of just naive. I was surprised at how actively adventurous Tom was and doubly surprised at what a scaredy-cat Huck was. But I suppose I'll learn more about both of them in the next one. Though now that they're both filthy-stinkin' rich, I don't see how they'll manage to have many real adventures. We'll see...


The ending was kind of abrupt and there were a few brief moments when the writer slipped into second person (a literary pet peeve of mine); which is why Mr. Twain pulled four stars instead of five on this one. All in all, I'm glad I finally got around to reading it and it will keep a permanent place on my shelf.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

I haven't read this one in particular but I read Huck Finn and Connecticut Yankee and I really dislike Mark Twain's writing. He feels likehe's making fun of his characters all the time.

Julie said...

I'm a scaredy-cat like Huck.

Rebecca Reid said...

I enjoyed this one as a kid. I haven't read it for years! Time for a reread. I've always enjoyed Twain's humor.

Lula O said...

Me too. I should revisit these. Thanks for the review!