Friday, December 11, 2009

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

This is one case where I actually liked the movie better than the book. I wonder about the process of writing the screenplay for this book. It has made me more curious about what that would be like and how that must actually work. Hmm...
As for reading, it was hard for me to enjoy this book as much as I had hoped to do. The time traveling concept was a bit confusing at first for me because I couldn't grasp that he couldn't wield it. I wanted it to be more like what I always envisioned time traveling being but this completely changes that fantasy of what I imagined in my mind. I suppose that might not be a bad thing, to imagine differently, but it left me feeling disappointed. I want to go back to my old time traveling images of helping others, saving the world and enjoying it instead of how this portrayed time traveling but it will be hard to forget what and how she described it in this book. The idea is I want to forget. This is not a book that I'd feel good about recommending to others.
I don't mean to sound so negative because I'm sure there are many that have liked this book. It did receive a lot of attention. It's possible that I'm bothered by some content within the book which is quite possibly tainting my review. I didn't care for the writing style. I needed more resolution. Mostly, I struggled with the characters. Where was the growth that I felt should naturally come through some of their experiences? I didn't feel I could relate and they felt unreal or stereotypical. It didn't feel loving when needed in relationships and there was a lot of tension. Was that the point or am I missing it? I do feel like I am missing out. I'm going to have to reread a childhood favorite, A Wrinkle in Time, that seems to be embedded in my memory. Perhaps, I'll re-watch Somewhere in Time again revisiting the fact that I liked the music better than the actual movie. That's what this book is like to me, I was intrigued by the concept of time traveling more than the actual storyline itself.

560 pages, May 2004, 1.5 stars

Other reviews:
Amanda
Melanie
Duffbert

9 comments:

Amanda said...

To me, their relationship didn't feel loving at all. Every time I hear about this book, I hate it more. This is by far the worse books I've read this year, and I've only met 2-3 other people who disliked it.

Lula O said...

I liked the book. Not my absolute favorite, but it was so...meaty. Gut-wrenchingly so. For me anyway. The time travel was realistic to me, a science nerd. And I felt the ending was appropriate. Absolutely terrible, but appropriate. I've yet to see the movie but am hoping it comes out of DVD soon so I can be depressed at the end. Same with Bright Star. Waiting for that to come out too. Thank goodness I'll have Harry Potter 6 in between...oh wait, someone dies in that too.
Crap..

terry said...

my wife found the book to be "different", but okay. it wasn't your standard Harlequin love story, which is her first choice in books.

we saw the movie, and both liked it, albeit for different reasons. there was enough romance for her, and enough time-travel for me. i thought the (movie) ending was good.

Nina said...

One of my best friends read this book a couple of weeks ago and thought it was the most amazing book ever! As we do not have the same tase, i'm hoping that this is indeed a very good novel. It does sound very beautiful...

Thank you for your honest opinion about the book!!!

Julie said...

I appreciate everyone's comments. I love how different they all are too.

I agree with you, Amanda.

Lula - I wonder what you'll think about the movie? I'm interested. A couple of my friends who read the book before they watched the movie were disappointed in it because of what they left out of course. (I confess I started reading the book before the movie but finished after. I didn't notice.) I haven't heard of Bright Star? I can't wait for HP6 either.

Terry - I'm glad you liked the movie. It's not my favorite but okay. I didn't feel I wasted my $ by watching it, so that's good.

Nina - I'm glad you came by. I'm also curious as to what you'll think of the book and like it or not. Whether or not people like or dislike a book, I'd have to say reading is always a good thing.

Thanks for reading my review!

JaneGS said...

I did like the book, but I agree that the time travelling aspect was disconcerting and not satisfying at all to this time-travel junkie! That said, I thought it was well written, innovative, and interesting. I was fascinated by the concept of getting to know/love someone so sporadically.

I enjoyed getting your perspective on it, though. Going to read her latest?

Ladytink_534 said...

I've been meaning to read this and I've been putting off seeing the movie until I do. It sounds like a good read though.

christa said...

I read the book a while back and thought it was okay - interesting concept but can get confusing. I only remember the gist of the story and not the details, so don't know what was omitted in the movie (though I thought the ending was a bit different...?) So I do like the movie better just because it was easier to understand :) I did cry both while reading the book (near the end) and at the movie though... don't hate it, but don't love it either.

Julie said...

JaneGS - I'm happy to hear you agree about the time travel stuff. I have to admit I'm a bit cuirious to read her latest but I haven't yet. Have you read it?

Ladytink_534 - Let me know if you read it and what you think.

christa - I didn't really like the book at all. I think the movie was a "don't hate it but didn't love it" for me.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to stop by and read my review.