Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1)
The first of a trilogy of books written just before Swedish author Stieg Larsson’s death, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is a fast-paced mystery wrapped up in a financial article from Business Week, a manual on hacking, and a statement of women’s rights.

I loved this fast-paced book filled with wicked plot changes. And I certainly didn’t anticipate the outcome of the ending at all. I won’t give it away.
I really enjoyed getting to know the main characters, and I am still trying to figure out what makes them tick. Especially the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I’m looking forward to reading the rest of the trilogy.

A word of warning: some scenes are explicit descriptions of sexual violence. Might not be for the faint of heart or the easily offended.

6 comments:

Lula O said...

I have this one, and the next one on hold at the library. Should be another month or so before I get it. I haven't read a bad review of it yet. Too bad the poor guy (the author) died.

Trixie said...

I know, right?! I would have loved knowing that he could potentially write more books in the future.
I'll be excited to read your review.

hamilcar barca said...

this is on my TBR shelf, albeit with a different cover. i also picked up Roseanna by a Swedish husband/wife murder-mystery team - Per Wahloo and Maj Sjowall. apparently, they were the originators of the police-procedural style used by Stieg Larsson and Henning Mankell.

Amanda said...

I didn't realize this author had died! I knew there was a sequel of sorts to this book.

Despite the warning, this is one I still really want to read.

Julie said...

Very intriguing!

Trixie said...

I left my review vague, partly because I don't have the book with me anymore and partly due to lack of time w/ the baby. I'm really looking forward to more reviews of it so we can chat more.

Hamilcar - I'll be interested to read your review of this book and the other books you mention. I really liked his style. Long on descriptions of scene and character, short on emotion. I'm not sure if that's what is meant by "police-procedural style."

Amanda - I'm not really sure how you'll react to it. It is part of the story. It doesn't hit you early on in the book, so you should certainly give it a try! I'll be interested to hear what you think!

Julie - Definitely!