Saturday, August 22, 2009

The 5-Minute Iliad and Other Instant Classics by Greg Nagan

I'm a huge MST3K fan. In fact, I'm converting all my video MST3K files I downloaded from DAP Central to DVD (those not released by Rhino and Shout Factory, of course) so I can enjoy them anywhere. I know it's a sickness, but, alas, there's no cure, so I shall have to suffer. Also, alas, my husband is wrought with the same affliction and occasionally, we suffer together through the same films. This book seems afflicted with the same problem, I couldn't stop laughing while reading this. I mean, really laughing out loud in an embarrassing sort of way and I'm not a laughing out loud reader, but this one had me rolling. Because many of the stories are well known and Terry's done his review, I'll just recap what made me laugh out loud. I had only read Dracula before reading this, so I read his Dracula version and I knew I had to read the rest of the book. Of course, who hasn't heard of A Christmas Carol, but I love the twist Nagan puts on it. It might be my favorite A Christmas Carol rendition ever. I hadn't read Joyce's Ulysses, but I suffered through The Dubliners and after The Dubliners, I don't think I could keep any more Joyce down. Even though I hadn't read the rest of the classics, this book does make me interested. The language and humor is ribald. However, I tend to agree with Terry, I think upped the language ante when Nagan channeled the authors. He's pretty tame in his introduction to the pieces, though the humor is still very much tongue-in-cheek. I must thank Terry who led me to finding this book and thoroughly enjoying it. I really needed this laugh and boy did I.

Paradise Lost by John Milton. Satan and his minions singing "High Hopes".
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. Take one. Oops! I think "Oops!" might become my new catch phrase.
Dracula by Bram Stoker. Diagnosis: Batshit crazy. Treatment: Read the next story.
Ulysses by James Joyce. Finally, Joyce written the way I can read and understand! Even thinking about this makes me burst out laughing. Try it. Ask my about Joyce's Ulysses and I'll start chuckling.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Okay, I think I have to read this now.

Christina said...

Want to borrow mine?

Amanda said...

Sure! I'm not sure how fast I'll get to it, but if I'm not done in a reasonable amt of time I can always give it back and get it from the library later.

hamilcar barca said...

i have to give credit where it's due. my son turned me on to T5MI, after he read it and liked it. he knows of my aversion to the classics.

i dug T5MI out today and looked up your "Oops" reference in A Christmas Carol. absolutely hilarious!

Christina said...

Terry, so we have your son to blame for all this. I hope he's happy with what he's started.

I just love the A Christmas Carol. This book may have very well moved into the Island Book List.