Monday, July 6, 2009

Terribly Twisted Tales edited by Martin H. Greenberg and Jean Rabe

Eighteen fairy tales gone astray. I thinks most of these tales might have been darker than I like so many of them I didn't care for. The two which stood out the most were "A Charming Murder" and "The Adventure of the Red Riding Hoods" (both mysteries, of course) the rest were either OK or not up to par what I expect from Greenberg so I'm wondering about how the stories are chosen for these anthologies and hope for better selections in the next one.

"Waifs" by Dennis L. McKiernan. Who were the real victims in Hansel and Gretel? I'll give you a hint: The witch wasn't the only one who was wicked.
"My Great-Great-Grandma Golda Lockes" by Annie Jones. Golda Lockes explores the world of moonshine and bootlegging thanks to the three bears. An interesting idea of Goldylocks and Red Riding Hood and the big bad wolf are even mentioned.
"Once They Were Seven" by Chris Pierson. Snow White's happily ever after isn't and it's up to the remain four dwarves to fix things. This one was darker than I expected.
"Capricious Animistic Tempter" by Mickey Zucker Reichert. A tale of "Puss in Boots." Not sure how it's twisted except that Puss has more wicked intent, then again, he's a cat.
"A Charming Murder" by Mary Louise Eklund. Princess Cinderella Charming is murdered by one of the ugly stepsisters, Estelle, and she tells her story to the police. Actually, a charming story with a twist on Cinderella.
"Jack and the Genetic Beanstalk" by Robert E. Vardeman. There's Jack, the cow, beans, and a giant, but it's not the typical Jack and the beanstalk, in fact, there's no beanstalk; nice use of the cow though. I'm not a major Jack and the Beanstalk reader, but I did like the cow.
"What's in a Name?" by Kathleen Watness. Rumpelstiltskin as told from the fae.
"No Good Deed" by Jody Lynn Nye. A version of "The Mouse and the Lion."
"The Red Path" by Jim C. Hines. Little Red Riding Hood with magic, werewolves, and religion. I'm not big on religious stories or Red Riding Hood, but not bad.
"Lost Child" by Steven D. Sullivan. A story how Perry Pan and Belle pick up lost children like Amber.
"Rapunzel Strikes Back" by Brendan DuBois. The princess locked in the tower strikes out against her tormenter; who needs a Prince Charming? A little dark for my tastes.
"Revenge of the Little Match Girl" by Paul Genesse. The Little Match Girl with a wicked twist. Didn't really care for this version, but it was interesting.
"Clockwork Heart" by Ramsey "Tome Wyrm" Lundock. Pinnochia is tired of being beaten by Gespetto, wishes to be a real girl, is turned into one, then wonders what the purpose of her life really is. I couldn't get into this one, kind of reminded me of My Fair Lady which I'm not a fan of.
"The Hundred Year Nap" by Skip and Penny Williams. Another take on "Sleeping Beauty." Not too interesting, lots of unnecessary sexual undertones.
"Five Goats and a Troll" by Elizabeth A. Vaughn. Don't mess with magic goats.
"Something about Mattresses" by Janet Deaver-Pack. "The Princess and the Pea" from another other angle and another world.
"Three Wishes" by Kelly Swalls. A woman finds her old bear and a necklace which grants three wishes, she's used two, but saves her third.
"The Adventure of the Red Riding Hoods" by Michael A. Stackpole. Lupyne solves the case of the murdered Granny and then some. A "Little Red Riding Hood" told with a Sherlockian style - loved it!

7 comments:

hamilcar barca said...

"My Great-Great-Grandma Golda Lockes" by Annie Jones. Golda Lockes explores the world of moonshine and bootlegging thanks to the three bears..

Jasper Fforde (he of 'Thursday Next' fame) has a book in his "Nursery Crimes" series called The Fourth Bear. I think it mixes the Goldilocks fairy-tale story with conspiracy theories.

It's on my TBR shelf. Alas, so are 3 dozen other books.

Amanda said...

3 dozen is looking good right now. My home-TBR list is probably about 100 right now. The virtual is over 400...

I have The Fourth Bear but need to get the first book in the series before I read it.

hamilcar barca said...

the library should have it. although you'll probably have to look up where they shelve it.

at my library, the Thursday Next books are in "Sci-Fi", but the Nursery Crime ones are in "Mystery". at Borders, they're all in "Literature". at the used bookstore, they're all in "Mystery".

the only author that's harder to hunt down in any of those places is Bill Bryson.

Amanda said...

Hm. the Thursday Next books are just in regular fiction in our library system. Probably the nursery crimes ones too, but i"m not sure. I want to finish the Thursday books before going on to the next series.

Christina said...

3 dozen does sound good. I've got over a hundred, plus over a hundred on my reminder pile. Jasper Fforde's Nursery Crime sounds intriguing, the first one is The Big Over Easy

hamilcar barca said...

...The Big Over Easy.

that's the one! Humpty-Dumpty - was it murder or suicide? it's on my TBR shelf too.

Blogger said...

If you are looking for an excellent contextual advertising network, I suggest you check out Chitika.