Thursday, July 23, 2009

A Lion called Christian: The True Story of the Remarkable Bond between Two Friends and a Lion by Anthony Bourke and John Rendall

For me, reading this book was a pleasant surprise and quite interesting too. The story of Christian was captivating and touching. In the late '60's, these two gentlemen from Australia found him and couldn't pass him up so they bought him at Harrods Department Store in London on a whim, a very expensive one. I was moved to read thier experiences of how they took care of him, and what they went through to help him maintain good health, keep him safe and try to provide some sense of happiness for thier lion friend. It really is remarkable the love and bond this lion had with Anthony(Ace) and John. I loved the dynamic of their remarkable friendship as well. You also grasp a sense at how dangerous it was for them to own a lion and they share their concerns. They honestly realize how lucky and one of a kind their whole experience was.
I had been wanting to read this book since I saw it in Wal-Mart when it first came out but I really didn't know much about it. So, I looked up some reviews and found that for the most part they were positive. Then I happened upon the 1971 YouTube reunion that John and Ace had with Christian and felt very moved to see of their bond with him. So, I put the book on hold at the library right away. When I received the book, I read it quite fast.
I enjoyed how their story unfolded and all of the people who became associated with Christian. I felt a sense of how they of how much Christian meant to each of them. It was so different for everyone since they were dealing with a wild animal. I'm glad that George Adamson came into Christian's life and all of his effort to rehabilitate Christian back into Africa. George was a very unique person brimming with personality that I'll find hard to forget for a long time. I also appreciated the message he was trying to share about conservation efforts and rehab of wild animals. He dedicated his life to this cause and it feels that he truly loved it.
Overall, this is a beautiful story.

256 pages, March 10, 2009, My rating: 3.5 stars

2 comments:

Diane said...

I LOVED this one and have also reviewed it on my blog. Glad to read your review.

Julie said...

Thanks for reading my review, Diane! I'll be sure to read your review as well.