Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Agnes Grey, by Anne Bronte


This book was sort of like if I wrote a novel about the ways people abuse desktop support technicians. Only, without the jokes. And with a more talented and sincere writing style.

Honestly, from a review standpoint there is little else to say about. I did learn, quite surely, that it sucked being a governess, and it was wonderful to see poor Agnes find a lover at the end. But review-wise, I don't know what else to say.

That being said.

This is my first Anne Bronte novel, and I am a little embarrased to say that I had NO idea who Anne was. I always got the impression that Anne was sort of the quiet, polite sister. Actually, she reminds me of my sister Tenille. Tenille was stuck in a family, with my brother, who is very easy going, my little sister, who just finished her degree in mountain-climbing-and-kayaking-in-the-yukon (and I say that with pride, not a sneer), and me, who is... well, you know. Let's not get into that. And my sister, is this very earnest, hard-working person, who thinks things ought to make sense. I always felt sorry for her having to wade through us (me, most particularly, but only because I'm self-centered about these things, I guess). That's how poor Anne seems. Anne wants to write somethign that makes sense, that's 'relevant'. And so, she sounds sort fo continuoustly frustrated. It definitely doesn't surprise me that she was more in the Emily circle than the Charlotte/Branwell circle (I'm more the Branwell type... :/). It was a lovely book to read, if you like the Brontes, though if you don't, and if you don't like 19th century social history, I don't know that you would enjoy it as much, now.

7 comments:

Amanda said...

The baby looks better without makeup.

hamilcar barca said...

i've never heard of Anne, which isn't surprising, given my utter ignorance in classic literature. just how many writers were there in the greater Bronte family?

Amanda said...

Just the three girls. Anne actually has a lot of books published. I read The Tenant of Wildfell Hall last year. It was good. I didn't like it as much as Jane Eyre, but liked it FAR more than Wuthering Heights.

Amanda said...

Okay nevermind, I lied. She only published the two novels.

Jason Gignac said...

Yes, the Bronte sisters follow the order of 2's

Emily Bronte 2^0 books: Wuthering Heights
Anne Bronte 2^1 books: Agnes Grey, Tenant of Wildfell Hall
Charlotte Bronte: The Professor, Jane Eyre, Villette, Shirley

Jason Gignac said...

I'm stupid. Charlotte is 2^2.

戴佩妮Penny said...

cool!!AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛