Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Murder Most Maine by Karen MacInerney

Life is going well for Natalie Barnes. She's settling into her new job as the owner and hostess of the Gray Whale Inn, getting in touch with her niece, Gwen, and she's slowly learning about the towns people in her quant Maine port of Cranberry Island. If only she didn't have to deal with that pesky death of her guest and rival for the land, Bernard Katz. Bernard's been making a nuisance of himself, outbidding the conservation society for the terns and wrangling bids from other people through blackmail and there's a lot to blackmail. At first the police suspect Nat, except for her cute neighbor, John, so to get the police off her trail, Nat decides to go poking around. Only someone doesn't want her to poke around and do whatever's necessary to stop her. But Nat perseveres and uncovers the whole sordid truth behind Katz's murder.

This was the first book in the Mystery Read-a-thon I got through and I'm glad I picked it first. I had sixteen set aside and read two complete books and had gotten started on a third when time ran out. My only problem with the book is it made me hungry, especially blueberry coffee cake. If I ever get to Maine, I know I'm going to have to try it. Nat cooks breakfast every morning and having the recipes described were mouth watering. Bad thing the recipes are in the back of the book, however this book is on someone else's wish list so I'm putting it up before I'm tempted to look in the back. So far there are three in the series and I hope I won't gain weight reading them, I feel pretty full after reading the first and I didn't eat a thing. They should have a warning on the book: CAUTION: MAY BE FATAL TO YOUR DIET!

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh man, blueberry coffee cake sounds so good. I've been on a real blueberry pastry kick lately.

Christina said...

I just might have to sneak a peek at the back for the recipe and make some and sneak them into one our meetings. If only we had Maine blueberries.

Amanda said...

Hey, the people who were sitting next to us on Sunday had stuff from a bakery and a huge box of raspberries, and no one at B&N seemed to care...

Lula O said...

That is the best cover!

Blogger said...

Did you know that you can create short links with OUO and make cash for every click on your shortened links.