Saturday, April 4, 2009

Waiting for the LIght to Change by Annette Haws



I really liked this book. I felt that Sarah, the main character, was very real, well fleshed out, and unique. Sarah is a high school teacher and debate team coach. Two boys on the debate team have decided to make the new school year miserable for her. She's also a single mother whose daughter, Jenny, is shy and having a hard time socially.

To make matter worse, Sarah's ex-husband moves back to town with his young wife. He wants to make an effort of spending more time with the kids, but Sarah is determined to keep the kids not liking their father. She's happy when they reject him and keeps pushing them to do that.

The two boys in her class continue to give her a hard time in debate and she finds ways to retaliate against them. I so enjoyed having a character who made mistakes--big ones. She made poor choices, found ways of dealing with her problems that weren't the most honest or kind. But, she was doing the best she could to protect her kids and her job. She was given challenge after challenge, and she didn't let them steamroll her; she fought back. I found her to be so real. I could connect with her; I loved her raw anger. It was so refreshing to see a character who felt so real and wasn't overly good like a lot of heroines. I found her to be likeable and was rooting for her when she poured honey all over those mean boys' debate files.

This was probably one of my favorite books I've read so far this year.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

What were the repercussions of all those bad choices? It seems like something had to happen to her if she was acting like that as the teacher.

Julie said...

I can't imagine this - I loved my debate teacher in school. I'd be interested to see how this book unfolds.