Friday, April 3, 2009

A Room of One's Own - Virginia Woolf


To write a novel, you need 50 pounds a year, and a room of your own. Unless you're Jane Austen, in which cause you can make due with just a blotter of your own, to cover your writing with when someone saunters in.

I actually just meant to harvest some 'zingers' from this book for a paper I've been writing about 19th century women writers (long story). But, the thing about Virginia Woolf is that she persistently refuses to be soundbyted. Good for her! So I quoted her a good deal, but I ended up reading the whole book, when I should have been writing my paper...

Overall, however, I really enjoyed this book. I... respect Virginia Woolf. I like her writing, from an intellectual point of view, and I have certainly been AFFECTED by here writing. I've always been kind of jarred when I read her writing though, like... like it wasn't really written to me, or like I'm not quite smart enough to really commune with it (I comprehend it, but I don't understand it). I keep trying because I really almost feel it, and I WANT to feel it, and I know it isn't a lack of the book. This book was interesting to me from that point of view - it was sort of a... like a long chat with someone way smarter than you. Edifying, invigorating, comforting, interesting. Particularly, because the people she was talking about - the Brontes, Jane Austen, Gaskell, etc, etc - are old favorites of mine. But, I'm not really clever enough to say anything smart about it. So I won't, I suppose.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm really looking forward to reading this after what you told me about it.

Lula O said...

This is on my list for 2009. I've wanted to read her stuff ever since The Hours.

Amanda said...

The Hours is the greatest movie ever!! I didn't like the book much, but was profoundly moved by the movie.

I've read a lot by her, and found The Voyage Out to be the most readable, but also the most inane. Mrs. Dalloway and Jacob's Room are both good, though the latter is very depressing, and I didn't understand a word of To the Lighthouse. I'll have to revisit it someday.

Tamar Hammer's Blog said...

I didn't read her yet but I saw "The Hours" and I agree with Amanda - It is one of the bests - if you didn't see it is a must.

Amanda said...

Oh good, I'm glad someone else liked it a lot. :D It's my favorite.

Trixie said...

You know, I read her To the Lighthouse and also Orlando and found them both to be pretty tough to follow. Now I always kind of turn my nose up at Virginia Woolf, but I think this one sounds better and I might have to try it.