Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Plain Janes by Cecil Castellucci and illustrated by Jim Rugg

After I read Amanda's review on this graphic novel, I put my children to bed and stayed up until I finished reading it straight through. I was initially impressed, so much so that I read it again the very next day. I think that is saying a lot. It's only my second time reading a graphic novel and it was terrific!
A really great talent finds its happiness in execution. -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I can just imagine how much fun it must have been for Castellucci and Rugg to create this novel. I really enjoyed the characters, thoughts, and mystery (about John Doe) within it. I couldn't help but love the art. I've kept looking at it again and again, trying to find out what I missed and take it all in.
I did want a bit more in the ending of this story. It left way too many questions for me and I'll be looking to read the sequel. Hopefully, it will provide some answers.
I would recommend this book for girls around 13-17, perhaps the girls in the story deal with things that most teenage girls can relate to. Yet, I don't think age matters since I'm well into my 30's and I found things I related to in it. I suppose some things in high school for me were too defined, as an experience, for me to forget.
In the end, A life without P.L.A.I.N is boring. Art saves.

5 comments:

Lula O said...

I love books that keep me up all night :D

Julie said...

So do I.

Kailana said...

I read this book last weekend and really liked it! I want to read the sequel, but my library doesn't have it. :(

Julie said...

I hope you can find a copy to read, Kailana. It's definitely a worthwhile read!

Josette said...

I read this book twice and am already looking out for the next one: Janes in Love! This was my first graphic novel. :)