Saturday, March 7, 2009

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling


You don’t have to be a wizard or a kid to appreciate the spell cast by Harry Potter. For me returning to this series was like returning to a familiar pillow and blanket, a favorite dessert, or my favorite well-worn shoes: instantaneous comfort. What a joy this was to read again.

Because most everyone is as familiar with these three-dimensional characters and spooky scenes as they are the ingredients in One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi, I’m going to test your knowledge and walk through the book in question form. Only the most diligent kids; or I mean grown-ups may apply.

1. On what day of the week does our story begin?

2. How many presents did Dudley get for his eleventh birthday?

3. What country is the boa constrictor at the zoo from?

4. What day of the week was Harry’s eleventh birthday?

5. What did Hagrid cook for Harry when he first met him?

6. Name one course book first year students at Hogwarts will require.

7. What is Harry’s wand made from?

8. While waiting to board the train, what does George offer to send his mom from Hogwarts?

9. What kind of lumpily packaged sandwich does Ron unhappily unwrap on the train?

10. What is the first portrait password to get into Gryffindor tower?

11. What bone did Neville break while attempting to fly?

12. Who is the captain of the Gryffindor’s Quidditch team?

13. What game does Harry compare Quidditch to?

14. On what holiday does the troll appear?

15. What is the name of the three-headed dog guarding the trap-door?

16. What gifts did Harry receive for Christmas?

17. What does Dumbledore see when he looks in the Mirror of Erised?

18. How old was Nicholas Flamel?

19. What kind of dragon does Hagrid have? What’s its name?

20. How did Filch once punish wayward students?

21. Name the centaurs Harry meets in the forest.

22. What instrument do they use to put the three-headed dog asleep?

23. What position did Ron play on the chess board?

24. What flavor of bean did Dumbledore eat while visiting Harry in the hospital?

25. How many times have you read this book?
***
A delightful read that deserves to be revisited often, even if I am a muggle. 4 stars

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Okay, I'll try my hand at this, and I'm ashamed to say I'm probably going to get at least one of these wrong (or just don't know it). Amazing, I know.

1) Tuesday
2) 36, with the prospect of 2 more
3) Brazil
4) Monday?
5) a birthday cake (or you could say sausages and tea, depending on what you're referring to)
6) History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot
7) holly? and phoenix feather
8) a toilet seat
9) corned beef
10) Caput Draconis??
11) his wrist
12) Oliver Wood
13) soccer
14) Halloween
15) Fluffy
16) an invisibility cloak, a sweater, a whittled flute-like instrument, and I believe some Bertie Botts?
17) not told until book 7, but he says socks here
18) You want the actual age? Holy cow, woman! Somewhere in the 5 or 6 hundreds.
19) Norbert the Norwiegian Ridgeback
20) strung them up by wrists or ankles
21) Ronan, Bane, Firenze
22) the flute Harry got for Christmas
23) knight
24) earwax
25) I'm not sure, but somewhere between 20 and 25. It's easy to lose count when it's that high.

Okay, now I've got to go see how I did.

Amanda said...

Ah! one off for #2. And #4 - so close! I remembered Dudley saying it was Monday, didn't think to forward that a day. #16, missed a present and got Harry's from Hermione confused with Ron's. Ah well.

Amanda said...

I just quizzed my son, who's read the book about 5 times. Out of 24, he got 16 completely right, and 5 partially right, including being off on Flamel's age by only 3 years (662 instead of 665). He only got three completely wrong.

Lula O said...

Holy cow! You and your son are good. The Christmas present one was tricky, and no 13 he also compared it to basketball I think. It sure was fun to read this again. I just saw a preview yesterday for the movie coming out in July. It looks excellent. Until then though, on to book two!

Amanda said...

Yeah, Morrigan said both soccer and basketball for that one. I'd forgotten the basketball thing.

Trixie said...

Wow! That's really good Amanda. Lula was true to what she said before that she would write a tough quiz. Those are some tough questions.
I've finished book 4 and started 5 and I need to get my reviews up soon.