Monday, December 15, 2008

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

OK, so I've actually read quite a few books since my last review and I am going to try to do them all in the order that I read them so here we go!

The Host is the story about Wanderer, an alien "soul" that has been placed in the body of Melanie Stryder. While most humans minds fade away after being taken over, Melanie remains intact. The souls hope that by placing Wanderer in Melanie's body they will be able to locate the position of the remaining human resistance. Wanderer is willing until she uncovers the memories of Melanie's lover, Jared, and of her younger brother, Jamie. Through contact with Melanie's love for these two individuals, Wanderer grows love for them as well and sets out to find them.

I have to say, I really, really enjoyed The Host. I loved the characters, and the story gripped me the whole way through. I loved how Meyer created two individuals and put them in the same body without ever letting either character lose their own voice. The background on the souls was fascinating and left me wanting to know more about the other worlds they inhabited.

My only real beef with it would be that there were just a couple of characters that never really matured in any way, and the ending seemed all wrong. I hate being vague, but if anyone here does decide to read it I don't want to ruin it for them. Stephenie does tie up the book pretty neatly, albeit for me slightly unsatisfactorily, but still leaves it open enough that she could come back with a sequel if she wanted to. I'm really hoping that now that she's done with the Twilight series she will.

7 comments:

Amanda said...

I've agreed to give the Twilight series a chance, though I admit, The Host sounds more interesting to me.

Jocelyn said...

I feel like The Host is more well-written than the Twilight series, so if you end up not likin them, you should still give The Host a chance. It was pretty interesting.

Julie said...

I can't wait to read The Host now after your review! It sounds really interesting to me.

Jocelyn said...

I'm so glad I could help you decide to read this book! It's really good. :)

Serena said...

I loved the Twilight series, but I agree that the writing in The Host was better. I enjoyed it a lot more. The ending was interesting...and I liked it for the most part.

Trixie said...

I loved this book. Her ending made me feel like she might write a sequel. I am hopeful she will.

Blogger said...

Sprinter - DarKz (170BPM)