Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone



I asked for and received copies of the first three Harry Potter books in hardcover for Christmas because I did not have them. After I had read the first three books initially, I bought my own copies of 4 through 7 immediately when they were available.

In any case, I have already reread the first book Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone this week.

I was surprised at how unfamiliar parts of the story were for me. I did not remember really at all how the story had started, how Harry realizes his own abilities as a young wizard, and how difficult it was for him to leave his adopted family. It was almost as if I had never read the book before when, in fact, I believe I had actually read it at least twice previously.

I also did not remember where Voldemort was hidden or the exact events of the recapture of the Sorcerer's Stone or many of the events surrounding the Quidditch matches or what happened with Snape. Really, as I said, I did not remember many of the important events that happened in this first story.

I do remember the excitement of knowing another book by J.K. Rowling was coming along soon and that I would get to find out more about Harry and his friends. This time, though, it's even more exciting, because now I already have all seven books sitting on my shelf right next to me!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

How amazing to be able to read it almost like it's new! Especially if you'd forgotten so many of the "spoiler" parts. How exciting! I look forward to your other reviews.

Julie said...

I think I need to manage a re-read of HP books sometime this year after reading your review. I wonder how much I've forgotten too. I also look forward to more HP reviews by you, Trixie!

Trixie said...

Amanda - It really was a lot of fun to reread it as if it was a new story to me all over.
Julie - Thanks! I have started reading the second one again. I should be able to finish it and review it soon!