Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

To start this review I'm going to quote a review from the back cover. "To say this is a terrific debut novel is really too mild...I found myself dreading the last thirty pages or so but was helpless to stop turning them. Then, after the lights were out, the story just stayed there in my head, coiled and hissing, ,Ike a snake in a cave. An admirably nasty piece of work, elevated by sharp writing and sharper insights." Stephen King

"Fresh from a brief stay at a psych hospital, Camille Preaker's first assignment at her second-rate paper takes her reluctantly back to her hometown to cover the murders of two preteen girls. As she works to uncover the truth, Camille finds herself identifying with the young victims - a bit too strongly. Dogged by her own demons, Camille will have to confront what happened to her years before if she wanted to survive this homecoming."(back cover blurb)

This novel deals with relationships between mother and child as well as father and child in the light of horrible tragedy. The entire town is up in arms about the strange murder and disappearances of the girls and of course they rush to blame outsiders. Even calling in someone from the FBI doesn't help their cause and only while Camille comes back to cover the story do the clues start to make sense with her scarred past. The issue of small town America really sticks home, everyone knows everyone and is most likely related somehow. It reminds me of my home town actually.

I really enjoyed this book. It was fast paced and addictive. I couldn't put it down literally! The author depicted a very strange form of cutting that I can't seem to get my head off of. The main character, and you see this early in so I'm not ruining anything, cuts herself....but not normal cuts. No Camille carved words into herself in every reachable inch and centimeter of available skin except for two spots on her body. It made perfect sense in a sick way. Every cut a cutter makes has a meaning implied because of the feeling behind it but Camille cut words some as normal as castle and some as meaningful as freak. Camille talks about at different points of stress in the story different words fire on her. They itch and burn talking to her. I find this concept amazing apart from the spellbinding story Gillian wove around her characters. Ive never seen someone so eloquently involve a bizarre and very sever form of cutting in a story before.

The other aspects of the story are as compelling and I found myself being able to guess the ending but not wanting it and then once I got it there was a thrilling twist that sent me reeling. I highly recommend this book. It's a thrilling and sick who done it with a great psychological aspect.
Sharp Objects: A Novel
By: Gillian Flynn
Amazon Price: $14.00

2 comments:

Trixie said...

Sounds sickly fascinating to me. But sounds like a book for which you need to be in the right mood or frame of mind.

Nikki said...

Yes that does help a lot lol I tend to be pretty sick minded most of the time but in my youth I was a cutter so I tend to identify with books about that subject. But honestly its a great mystery and thriller. Gets in your head for days :D