Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Pact by Jodi Picoult

Don't let the fact that it says "a love story" in romantic italicized script on the front cover. This is not even close to a romance story.

The Pact is a wonderfully written drama about a teenage couple almost out of high school and a "double suicide" one suicide shy of being finished. This novel has a present and past tense style of writing jumping from years ago to "present" to illustrate the connection between the two teenagers and what set them off on the path at the beginning of the novel. The couple were raised together, their parents next door neighbors and best friends. They are only 6 months apart in age and inseparable. Both excellent students and had full fulfilling lives together ahead of them. One carried a secret that eventually drove them to want to vanish from existence, the other was clueless to why and wanted to be with their love.

This books brought up a lot of questions for my friends who read it as well. Why would a teenager with good grades, happy families, and the love of their lives want to kill themselves? For that matter why would any person what to kill themselves? Is it the easy way out like a lot of people think or is there more to it than that? Is is possible for someone to want to die and NO ONE can tell at all around them?

It made me think about how people put on shows and faces for people in their lives. Do we eventually get to a point in our lives when we cant remember who we really are? Do we eventually turn into the person we are pretending to be? Am I crazy if I can compartmentalize who I need to be for each separate person in my life and recognize myself doing it? Or is it a sign of being such a pleaser that I cant help myself from being what other want me to be bad or good?

We all wear masks in our daily lives, in this novel someones mask hid more hurt than you would think possible.

I high recommend any of Jodi Picoults books. If you have any questions about her novels let me know I've read most of them :D
The Pact: A Love Story
By: Jodi Picoult
Amazon Price: $7.99

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Why do you think it was called a love story, if it wasn't at all a romance?

I've never read anything by Picoult. I checked a book out by her back in March or so, but never got around to reading it and eventually turned it back in to the library.

Nikki said...

I really don't know. I think in a way it could misconstrue it as a romantic tragedy like romeo and Juliet. It was romantic in that it was tragic and sad. That is my only guess really.