Friday, September 5, 2008

Spare Change by Aubrey Mace


Riley is tired of making New Year's resolutions, but with the insistence of her mother, she makes a resolution to put her spare change into a jar every day and buy herself something at the end of the year.
She works in a cancer treatment center and soon finds a better place to put that spare change. So, she begins saving her money to donate it to the cancer treatment center. Her small resolution grows as others become aware of her idea. People start giving her jars of change which she puts toward her fund. As the year progresses, more and more people become involved and soon she has amassed a large quantity of change. Changing the coins into bills becomes a challenge with the grouchy, but cute bank teller. And there is also a secret admirer that leaves pennies and notes for her to find.
Overall, I really liked this book. It was charming and fun to read. I liked seeing how her small act of kindness grew and others were eager to join in. The unfolding of the romance between Riley and Paul, the bank teller, occurred naturally. The story and characters were well developed, but I think there could have been more details in unfolding the storyline. For example, during their first date, it says, 'our conversation was lively,' and I think this could have been expounded. What did they say? How was it lively? Also, I found too many adverbs describing how things were said-cheerily, sincerely, dramatically, angrily. I would have liked to see half as many adverbs.
Those things aside, I really enjoyed the book. I was willing to look past those small flaws and enjoyed the telling of a really fun story.

4 comments:

Jason Gignac said...

So... does her mother mind that she completely undoes the original resolution?

Julie said...

I don't know what the book will say about her mother minding. Personally, I don't think her mother should mind if it's going to charity like the cancer treatment center.
I think it sounds like a cute story.

Marcia Mickelson said...

Jason-you're funny. Julie-it was really cute. I liked it a lot.

Amanda said...

At first when I started reading your description, I thought this was a true story, like an inspiration kind of book. It sounds like something that could really happen.

You know, I never used to notice the adverb thing until you gave us a lesson on it once at writing group. After that, I started noticing it all over JK Rowling's writing. It's funny, because all her dialogue adverb tags I used to just skip over (before I noticed them) because she wrote the voice of the characters well enough to not need them. It's too bad they didn't get edited out.