Tuesday, September 16, 2008

question for everyone

Hey guys. Sorry for the totally non-book review post. Normally I wouldn't do that but I have a question as moderator to ask everyone. Jason (my husband for those who don't know that) is in a class in school this year that requires him to work on a "distributed system" project. Don't ask me what that means. It's computer related. Anyway, one of his choices is to build a program for webpages to interact with Amazon and he thought about making a code to put in each book review, so that a link to the book on Amazon as well as the list price would appear at the bottom of the review. That way viewers can click on the link if they're interested. The program has to be fully functional for his grade and all, and I'm real sketchy on the details - I think that after you guys post, he'd have to go in and add the code at the bottom. Anyway, I didn't want to give it the go ahead without everyone's permission. Would anyone mind if we do that? If Jason put a code at the bottom of your book reviews? If anyone objects, he certainly wouldn't touch your reviews. Please leave me a comment to let me know how you feel about this (good or bad, okay or not okay). And it's okay if you're against it - he can always make the program for school and set it up on a false webpage instead of this blog. He just thought it might enhance our blog, too, if we liked the idea.

If you want the technical explanation of what he's doing, ask in the comments and Jason will give you the run-down. It's completely over my head.

He made me this example based on the technology Amazon already has. Jason's program would interact with their current technology, and what would appear on our blogs would look something like this:




And in completely unrelated news, Rebecca Reid has given us a Book Blogger Appreciation Week should-have-been-nominated nomination shout-out. Uh, yes, that's convoluted but I don't know how else to phrase it. See the post here. She says about us: "5-Squared is a group blog, which means there are a variety of book reviews by a number of different people. I really enjoy the variety of reviews." Anyway, I just wanted to let all you guys know and to give a public thank you to Rebecca for her support.

*************

Added later - it seems just about everyone thinks this school project of Jason's is fine, so we're going ahead with it. The ads will change over time as he works on more of his project to customize it. If you have an issue with him going into your particular posts to add this (in other words, if you haven't already left an objection here), please leave a comment and I will get it. We'll make sure he won't touch your posts. Thanks.

10 comments:

hamilcar barca said...

the first place i usually go after reading a good review here is Amazon anayway, so FWIW i think it's a kewl idea.

Jen said...

I think that's a neat idea both for his project and for our blog. Would we still be allowed to post pictures instead of the book cover on occasion, or should we stick entirely to book covers (I usually do anyway, just thought I'd check)?

Amanda said...

Jen, you would do your book reviews exactly like you do now, with whatever images you want. Jason would just add the little program at the end of the post later on.

Jason Gignac said...

Jen... seriously. Have you read any of my reviews? Would I EVER restrict myself to only cover images?

Seriously, the book image would appear, seperately, at the bottom of the review. Other images are still more than welcome.

Amber said...

this is fine by me; I've been meaning to bring up something about the pictures others are putting up, though. I used to put pictures up on my blog, then it dawned on me that I might be violating copyright by using images without credit to the original source (especially after I used some particularly nifty images from a Disney website). I just wanted to bring that up so that no one got in trouble here! it's probably a stretch to think that someone will come after you, but I would've felt bad if it happened and I thought of it but didn't say anything.

Amanda said...

If you post pictures that are from online booksellers like Amazon, that's not violating copyright law per some lawsuit that was brought up. I don't know all the details but I read about it on someone's blog. I'm not too worried about it.

Trixie said...

The Amazon link think sounds good to me too. Cool too about Rebecca's shout out!

Christina said...

I don't see a problem with it.

Marcia Mickelson said...

That's just fine with me too.

Julie said...

I think it would be great and I'd like to support Jason with his education. Way to go, Jason! It sounds like a great idea and good luck with your program.
I'm also impressed with Rebecca's should-have-been-nod and her support. Thanks!