Thursday, September 4, 2008

Books by Melissa Senate

So, Amanda guilted me into doing book reviews for some books I've been reading lately. I've hesitated to post my reviews because while some of you are reading books like Of Mice and Men, I've been reading books with titles like See Jane Date. Really, that's the title. See, I've been on a big 'Chick Lit' reading kick. I know that Chick Lit can be inane, and self-indulgent, and shallow, but I just love that stuff. It's like candy, and I love candy. So, here are 2 titles I've read recently--See Jane Date and Love You to Death, both by Melissa Senate.

See Jane Date is about a woman named Jane who works for a publisher and is put in charge of editing her old-high school nemesis, Natasha's memoir. Along with having to put up with the Gant (as she calls Natasha), she has been invited to her younger cousin's lavish wedding and can't help but feel a little jealous. She hopes to snag a date for the wedding, so her friend proceeds to set her up with an assortment of really bad dates.

What I love about Chick Lit is the funny, self-effacing characters and the quirky circumstances they find themselves in. This was an enjoyable read. It was a little slow moving, but kept my attention. Jane was a likeable character you could root for. And, in the end she finds she's misjudged a few people. No deep message here, just a fun read.

The next book by Melissa Senate I read was Love You to Death. Abby's ex-boyfriend turns up dead and she's the main suspect. Several of her exes have also been threatened, and all the evidence points to her. All of the exes have been huge jerks, like dating her to get her to write a story about their business in her magazine or like stranding her in a department store while pretending to try on clothes.

As she is being investigated, her family and friends begin to doubt her. What makes things worse is the lead investigator is the guy she had a huge crush on in high school. I liked this book because it blended Chick Lit with mystery, and that was fun. Again, just a fun read and more candy. Did I mention I like candy?

6 comments:

Jason Gignac said...

That's my Amanda, little slavedriver sweetheart...

Don't feel bad, Ms Mickelson, I reviewed Kilmeny of the Orchard, that's pretty much just Chick Lit from 100 years ago.

Amanda said...

Aw, I wasn't trying to guilt trip you! I promise! Forgive me?

I like candy, too. That having been said, I'm not sure I've ever read any chick-lit.

Marcia Mickelson said...

Amanda, I was just teasing you. I know you weren't trying to guilt trip me. No need to forgive.

I like Jason's "little slavedriver sweetheart" comment. That's cute.

Amber said...

Nothing wrong with candy, especially if you can call it for what it is. Self-awareness (or, book awareness?) goes a long way. I like your review style; very present voice.

hamilcar said...

would i be missing the point of chick-lit if i suggested that, since all of Abby's exes are jerks, perhaps the problem is her taste in men? ;-)

Julie said...

Chick-Lit blended with mystery - I never thought of that. Pretty clever.
I don't mind candy either.
I agree with Amber, your reviews that you write, Marcia, have a great style.