Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer

I began reading the Twilight series at the request of a friend while waiting in line for the release of Halo 3. Reading that first book I wasn't sure what to expect, but I ended up enjoying it very much--enough to wait eagerly for the next books in the series to get released and even purchase the hardback editions (I would typically wait for paperback). Breaking Dawn is the fourth and final book of the series. I wouldn't recommend it as a stand alone read because there is a lot of back story that is important to the final novel, but if it should definitely be read to complete the series.

The series follows the stories of Bella, a human who falls in love with a vampire, Edward, the vampire, and Jacob, a Native American werewolf/shape shifter. It all takes place in modern times, and Breaking Dawn picks up right where the previous book lets up, before the marriage between the human Bella and the vampire Edward.

The book keeps three points of view, starting with Bella's, then going to Jacob's, and finally going back to Bella's, but after she has been changed into a vampire. Without wanting to give too much away I'll just say it follows the wedding of Bella and Edward, their honeymoon, and their life immediately following.

I have to admit while I enjoyed the book very much, it was pretty predictable. Bella's visions and nightmares in the beginning of the book show almost exactly what is to come. There were no obstacles the protagonists could not overcome so I never felt too worried for the characters. Things always seemed to work out amazingly well for them. Stephenie Meyer kept the book very clean (after all, it is considered young adult fiction and she is Mormon), but it wasn't too sugarcoated. My only beef was that things worked out a little too well. Well, that and can vampires really get humans pregnant? I don't know how I feel about that.

All in all, the book was a good, quick read that left me feeling generally happy for everyone. Now that I finished this series I can say I'm curious to take a look at her sci-fi book The Host. It should be an interesting read.

19 comments:

hamilcar barca said...

oh i do like the way you handled the spoiler in your review, Jocelyn.

as to whether vampires can get humans pregnant - they can, but the kids turn out to be a little batty.

Jason Gignac said...

*rimshot*

Jen said...

Yesss, Joc has joined our dark circle--the gang's all here, well, almost all here. Byron's been oddly silent lately.

Jason Gignac said...

Well, now that Ambrose sneakily turned us all into Vampire-Werewolf-Zombies, between the search for fresh brains, warm blood, taking care of two kids, a full-time job, and having to schedule around the full moon, perhaps Byron is busy...

Jocelyn said...

Thanks, but I can't take credit. I stole it from Byron. *shifty eyes*

Byron isn't the only vampire-werewolf-zombie around here so I'm not too sympathetic.

Amanda said...

Oh yeah, we're ALL vampire-werewolf-zombies now aren't we? Except maybe Jen - she might have had the sense to leave the reunion before she got bitten...or bitten...or bitten...

Jen said...

Just trying to lure Byron out of his coffin for a bit. :)

Jen said...

Wait a minute, did the reunion get wild after I left??? Darn, I always miss the good stuff!!!

Amanda said...

oh yes, Jen, it got real wild. Ambrose is very, very sneaky.

Jen said...

I'm going to have to watch out for that kid tomorrow.

Jocelyn said...

If would probably be best to watch out for all of us for awhile....

Jason Gignac said...

Yes, Mees Flannerree... I thirst for zee blood of zee tardy...

Amanda said...

Yeah, Jen - speaking of joining dark circles...

Jason Gignac said...

Behind the boathouse... I'll tell you my dark secret

Amanda said...

So, in the style of comments related to your post, Joc, I wanted to note that these Twilight books are actually under a lot of debate in the LDS world. I've read tons of stuff about how many Mormons think that because Stephanie Meyer is Mormon, her books should adhere more to LDS standards, that they aren't "LDS enough." Since they were written for the national market, I don't agree with that statement. I just thought it was interesting that you noted how clean it was, when there are people out there who don't think it's clean enough, and that it's quite immoral.

Then again, many people think Harry Potter is the spawn of satan, so...

hamilcar barca said...

no, no! Harry Potter will turn you into a practicing warlock. it's Philip Pullman who will turn you into a Satanist.

Jocelyn said...

I don't know. There's no really bad language, they never do anything but make out until they're married, and then she skips over those parts entirely, there's no drugs, no alcohol. I fail to see what's so wrong with it (from an LDS standpoint) outside the fact that one of the main characters is a vampire and so there's the whole immortality issue. She even touches on the subject on whether the vampires have souls or not.

Don't even get me started on the Philip Pullman series. I'm still angry at how everyone reacted to that. Such good books.... :(

Byron said...

Jen, just broke my silence on the preceeding review.

And it was filled with sarcastic bile. Might invite other comments, or get itself removed, we'll see.

Byron said...

Orson Scott Card and Tracy Hickman are two Mormon authors that I've read. Here are some interesting thoughts I read, probably over a year ago, about the conflict inherent in writing a book with several gods when you personally believe in only one. Just scroll down to the bottom of the page, and check out the last 2 questions.

Also:
Orson Scott Card's Official Site
Tracy Hickman's Official Site