Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

The Alchemist (Plus)

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho is a story of a Spanish boy shepherd who sells his sheep so that he can travel to the Pyramids on a journey to find his Personal Legend, the treasure that awaits him if he follows his heart. On the way, he finds love, desert, war, the wind, and God.

I found this book to be a delight, an easy read. It is a parable about the travels we all make to find our true calling.

In this story, I was reminded that it is the seeking that matters, not the end goal or result. What we see and the people we meet along the way are the things that make life enjoyable.

“Every second of the search is an encounter with God,” the boy told his heart. “When I have been truly searching for my treasure, every day has been luminous, because I’ve known that every hour was a part of the dream that I would find it. When I have been truly searching for my treasure, I’ve discovered things along the way that I never would have seen had I not had the courage to try things that seemed impossible for a shepherd to achieve.”

Recently in following my heart down a new pathway, I have discovered magic on my own journey. In the first few chapters of a friend’s book I discovered a character with my grandmother’s name. My grandmother has been a muse to me, a spirit guide I talk to for comfort, for direction, for answers. When I listen to my heart, it is my grandmother’s voice I hear. And now, she is an omen, a sign that I am heading in the right direction.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Wow, this sounds like my kind of book! I'm going to add this to the to-read pile.

aart hilal said...

Hello!

I'm a big fan of Paulo Coelho! You will love this! He's the first best-selling
author to be distributing for free his works on his blog:
www.paulocoelhoblog.com


Have a nice day!

Aart

Trixie said...

Thanks for your comments Aart. I checked your blog, and you are obviously a huge fan of Paulo Coelho's. Thanks for the link to his blog and information about the sharing of his works.

Julie said...

Great review, Trixie! I'd like to read this book as well.
This book is different from the fantasy Alchemist's books by Dave Duncan that I'd been wondering about.
I love what you said about your Grandmother. Both of my Grandmother's have deeply influenced my life as well.

Trixie said...

Hi Julie - thanks for reading my review. Yes, this book is different from the Dave Duncan books. I just checked them out on Amazon.
I didn't really know what this book was about before I read it, but my book group chose the book a few months ago. I'm really behind what they've been reading, but I had picked it up and then heard some other good things about it, so I decided I should read it. It turned out to be completely apropros for all the things I've been thinking about in my own life lately. And of course, as I'm sure most people do, I tend to pick up and finish books that fit in with my thinking at the moment anyway!
It's the only book of his that I've ever read. I'm thinking now about checking out his newest book.