Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Stick to Drawing Comics, Monkey Brain!: Cartoonist Ignores Helpful Advice by Scott Adams


I went into Scott Adams' collection of short musings not sure what to expect except humor. I enjoy his Dilbert comic strip, but this book is not about Dilbert, except for a few short sections that talk about the politics of censorship in the comic strip world (which were actually quite interesting). For example, I wasn't aware that you couldn't draw a cop (or anyone for that matter) shooting a gun in a comic, but you can draw a cop shooting with a doughnut.

The book reads like his personal blog (which most of it is drawn from), only it's funnier than the average blog. It's a combination of random observations, political commentary, and personal stories. Adams isn't as funny as my personal favorite humor writer, Dave Barry, but he did make me laugh out loud several times during the book. Scott Adams is a smart man, but many of the short pieces become unfunny purely because they come across as arrogant and self-congratulatory. Then again, he admits that he's arrogant in the book.

Since there's not really that much analysis to be drawn from this book, I'll leave you with a few funny quotes:

"I've never seen anyone change his mind because of the power of a superior argument or the acquisition of new facts, but I've seen plenty of people change behavior to avoid being mocked." --Scott Adams
"I might be dumb, but I'm not dumb enough to express my true opinion about anything important. The one thing I've learned about freedom of expression is that you really ought to keep that sort of thing to yourself." --Scott Adams

"There's a fine line between evil and underpaid." --Carol the secretary, from the Dilbert comic strip

"Dance like it hurts. Love like you need money. Work like people are watching." --Dogbert

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Dave Barry is hillarious. Haven't read anything by him in awhile.

Shooting doughnuts...