Thursday, May 22, 2008

Ella Enchanted

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine was an enchanting book. The story is set in an imaginary kingdom called Frell. A fairy gives Ella's mother the gift of perfect obedience for her daughter. The gift is in fact a curse as Ella is compelled to obey any command ever given her. She cannot refuse and must obey.

There are some that take advantage of Ella's inability to not obey. She goes on a journey to find the fairy who cursed her with the gift of obedience. Ella is witty, independent, and kind. She's also clumsy which I found endearing. Ella is an authentic character and very well-written. The story unfolds into a retelling of the fairy tale, Cinderella. I loved this interpretation because Ella is given an active role in seeking out her future.

I highly recommend this fun book. It's a quick read and a beautiful story.




3 comments:

Jason Gignac said...

I've never read this book, but I might now - I LOVE fairy tales. Amanda I'm sure will tell you ALL about it, and probably roll her eyes, I'm kind of silly about it. When I was a kid, I used to check out the Color Fairy books from the library all the time and just read them, cover to cover.
Growing up I always thought that would translate into a love for Fantasy lit - and mind you I'm a helpless adorer of, for instance, the Lord of the Rings. I used to write sappy poetry about Galadriel and everything. I was bad...
But mainstream fantasy, it never cuahgt my fantasy. It just felt so meaningless and derivative usually. And not enough like a fairy tale. Sort of like listening to a bunch of guys play Dungeons and Dragons. I did the same thing in Harry Potter even, really, I loved the part here Harry talks to his dead parents, but Amanda loved, for instance, when Neville pulls the sword out of the hat and whacks off Nagini's head. The longer it gets from when I read it, the more unsatisfying that feels to me. Not that I hate the violence, just, it doesn't really seem to prove anything about a character, short of the presence of conejos (rabbits, right?).

Byron said...

I too think the book sounds interesting! What a creative and humorous plot idea. Like Jason, I also grew up loving fairy tales (although in my case, it did turn into an addiction to the fantasy genre).

So would it ruin the story if I watched the movie first? Or do I defitely need to read the book before I see the movie?

Marcia Mickelson said...

Jason- I didn't know you liked fairy tales. I really loved this book; I hope you do too if you decide to give it a try.

Byron-I would say definitely read the book first. I haven't watched the movie yet. I borrowed it from the library and will probably watch it this weekend, but I heard it's not as good as the book and deviates a bit from the plot. I'm already a bit disappointed in the movie and haven't even watched it yet.